Hash browns are a part of regular breakfast menu in the west. The variations of hash browns depend upon the cultures. Here, we describe how to make a simple hash browns. We will come up with the different variants in the coming days.
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15-20 min
Makes about 4 hash browns
1 Large russet potato/ 2 medium sized
1 Tbsp. All purpose flour/Maida
1 small onion/shallot grated
1 egg white (Vegans can replace egg with flax seed powder or potato starch)
Salt and pepper as needed
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
• You get crispier hash browns if you remove starch from the potatoes. To do that, first grate potatoes and keep them in a large bowl of cold water for 5 min. Then take this grated potato from the water and squeeze hard through the kitchen towel/potato ricer to remove moisture. In this way we are sure to get crispy and tasty hash browns.
• Now, keep this squeezed grated potatoes in a large bowl and add all the ingredients i.e. flour, grated onion, egg white, salt and pepper.
• Meanwhile pour enough oil in a pan/skillet (not too much but few tablespoons) and preheat the pan over medium heat.
• When the pan is hot enough, just take 1/3rd cup of the potato mixture and put it on the pan and flatten it as much as possible with the bottom of the cup or a flat spatula. (Do not disturb once it is flattened). The more flatter, the crispier it is.
• Cook for 5-6 min on each side over medium flame until they are brown and crispy.
• Make sure not to burn by regulating the flame. Serve hot with ketchup of your choice.