Karela… What to say about it? May be I belong to the exceptional group of people who lovee karela.. I make many varieties of karela.. Curries being majority of them.. I do make fries and snacks as well.. so coming to this recipe..
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: approx 30min
1. 3-4 medium karela’s
For Stuffing :
1. 2 medium size onions
2. 10-12 Red chillies (adjust according to your spice level)
3. 3-4 Tbsp grated coconut
4. Lemon sized tamarind juice
5. 1/4th cup jaggery (adjust accordingly)
6. Rock salt (adjust accordingly)
1. Cut karela into 4 inch pieces horizantally and split them in the middle into 4 keeping the bottom part intact for stuffing.
2. Grind red chillies,coconut, tamarind, jaggery, salt in a mixie smoothly and at last add onion and grind it coarsely..
3. Stuff this masala in the karela and keep aside.
4. Heat kadai or wide pan and put tadka and put all the stuffed karelas in such a way that stuffing touches the kadai and put in a slow flame and close the lid and let it simmer for 15 min and then turn the karelas to the other side and then again let it simmer for 10-15 min. Meanwhile, if karela is tender the juice oozes out naturally and if not, just add little water and mix to avoid over roasting and switch off the flame.
5. Check in between to make sure karela is not turning brown or burnt.
6. Top with coriander leaves(Optional)